Saturday, June 8, 2013

New Chapter

Many changes are coming my way very soon. I'm terrified and excited at the same time, but fortunately the excitement wins out.

This month, I've left my job at PlayStation and am about to embark upon a new chapter in life.

I've been considering going back to school for years now. In the past, I was interested in getting my MFA in Graphic Design or Game Design, but in the recent couple years, I've become far more fascinated with the business end of the game industry. My position as a Community Manager for Sony has exposed me to many challenges, but the most difficult and satisfying one has been to sync with business leads to find an ideal solution that provides the highest amount of satisfaction for the community (make 'em happy!) while monetizing them in a way that is perceived to be a good value (also happysauce).

So I'm moving to Shanghai, China to pursue my MBA at Hult International Business School. I've already received 3 scholarships, including the Global Leadership Scholarship. In total, I've been awarded enough to cover ~77% of the tuition, and yesterday I was informed that my application for financial aid to cover the rest (plus room and board) has been approved. WHEW!

Getting a student VISA for China requires a lot of additional steps than I expect other countries do, but it's all in motion. Fortunately, the local Chinese Consulate is just down the road from me, and the school has admissions folks specifically tasked with easing this process.

So what next? I have the rest of the summer to enjoy for the first time since junior high, and I have some really cool ideas that I've been wanting to do for years now. To be continued...



This is Shanghai from Rob Whitworth on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats man! I'm glad you are getting to do what you have truly wanted, and in an amazing place like Shanghai. I look forward to hearing all about your amazing journey. I have always wanted to go to an Asian country. I just love all the culture so, tell me all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tyler. I'll post on this blog with updates! It's going to be an interesting year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire anyone that would go so far from Home to ful-fill their dreams and to study! I KNOW the next adventure in life is going to be fun and exciting for you and I'm envious! I wish I were still so young! I want you to know, even though we've never met...you will really be missed in Home and on the Home forums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and please stay safe Glass Walls.

    Hope your treated well.

    a 11 out of 10. THE FAZEONES LOUNGE.

    ReplyDelete